Monday, January 17, 2011

Obeying

As I have explained in the previous post our family is walking in a valley. This valley can be scary and downright humbling all at the same time.

I know God will see us through He always does. But when your in the valley.

Life just seems so different.

I tend to long for the days when I was 16.

In all my teen years sixteen always stands out to me.

That was the birthday I had a tiara on my head and a white rose in my hand.

I felt OLD! It was great!

I always wanted to be sixteen. It was such a mature age.

But what I remember most about being sixteen is obeying a command I ignored for years...

I don't always tell this story to everyone because in some ways I get embarrassed.

Being raised in a Baptist home, attending church your whole life, getting saved at an early age you just automatically think you would have obey the command of being baptized after salvation. Well, not me.

My parents never pushed the issue they wanted the decision to be mine not theirs. So I went through my childhood not being baptized.

I knew being baptized didn't mean I would go to Heaven being saved meant you were going to Heaven so I didn't feel shy little me needed to get baptized.

Well, my sister Carole was in the same boat and we sailed together for quite a while until the summer I was sixteen...

We had been in a new state, a new home and new church for two years when the Holy Spirit would not let Carole and I rest we were both fighting the truth for a while until we couldn't take it any longer.

Carole went first (Of course) Carole may be the younger one but in some things she has always been leader. (Which has been good for me) And went up to the pastor and said she knew she needed to be baptized and join the church. I followed "I do too!"

The next week Carole and I met with the pastor and the associate pastor at the time and told of when we got saved and why we wanted to obey God and be baptized. I wrote in my journal that afternoon. "I did it! I talk to Pastor and I am getting baptized! I'm thrilled I am now obeying the Lord's command"

That summer has always meant so much to me.

I will never forget standing in the middle of lake with my pastor knowing I was doing the Lord's command by being baptized. (Journal entry)August,31,2003 "Yes,yes, yes I am baptized I'm part of a church, I am so happy! I'm thrilled! Now, I'll be active in the church!"

It's funny in the beginning I mentioned being embarrassed. It's not because I was baptized it's how long it took me to obey God's will and get baptized after salvation. But I finally obeyed and it felt as though a burden was lifted from me.

It's such a sweet memory though.

You may ask what does this have to do with my family traveling through a valley in our life. Well it has everything to do with. I know we just need to keep trusting God obeying His will and He will see us through. He always does and He always will.

Side note: I appreciate the emails and the comments. Please continue to pray!

1 comment:

Stepheny said...

I will be praying for you! I know what it is like to go through a valley!

God's mountain top is coming soon... just stay faithful!

BTW, I am hosting a blog giveaway... please enter.. the prize is a blog makeover (free) of your choice! :) I need someone to post it on their blog for me so I can enter someone! lol :)

Thanks,
Stepheny