Monday, November 17, 2008

911 vs. Dial up

What can I say? *Smirk* When my younger sister is around there is never a dull moment...

This afternoon after school was over for Carole and Aaron, Carole decided to go on the Internet. Well, we are one of the very few families left that still have dial up. So, she took the phone cord out of my cordless phone next to my desk in my room and placed it into my laptop.

The dial tone went through the speakers loud and clear while she waited patiently at my desk. The noise that is famous for dial up was now being heard. (You know... I know it has been a while. It sounds like a cross between a fire alarm and a door bell gone bad.) All of a sudden in mid grinding the noise stopped. In it's place she heard a women's voice through the speakers. "911, what's your emergency?" Carole whipped her head over at my myself and mom who was looking over a craft I am doing tomorrow for school. "Did you hear that?" She asked with a puzzled look on her face. She took out the phone cord and we waited to see if they would call back. They didn't.

So, a little while later she went back on only to be kicked off by my father calling the house. While my mom talked to him she got a beep that signals call waiting. We have a system that if we don't answer the call while we are on the phone, the answering machines will pick it up. So my mom kept on talking. When she got off the phone, Carole checked the machine.

"Mom it was 911!" About 40 minutes after all this began, the dispatcher asked us to call back because they received a hang up from our house!! So, Carole called back. "Yes...you called my house. I am sorry. Some how when I was getting on the Internet..." She told the dispatcher her story and then I heard her giving the dispatcher our address.

I am standing in the kitchen thinking "Okay Carole, you told her our story, you apologized, you laughed, you listened, she must understand your plight. Why are you giving her our home address?" The next thing I know she hangs up the phone and Carole looks up at my mom and myself. "They have sent a squad car our way just to make sure we are okay."

Carole gives us her prize winning smile and says "Ohhhhh, I have to go brush my hair..." Ahhh ya, just in case the cop was cute.lol...

LOL! I couldn't believe it! After all, Carole explained everything but they were still sending a cop.

The policeman showed up in his squad car lights and all. I saw the blue lights illuminating the windows. And said "Ohhhh Mom, he's here! And he has his lights on!" Can you tell I thought this was quite humorous?? LOL However, my mom didn't understand my laughter.

Carole opened the door and started rambling. (To us she appeared nervous, slightly embarrassed, maybe a little awe struck over his good looks.) LOL.....I am just kidding. I didn't even see him...lol...anyway...as her feet were standing one on top of the other, her hands squirmed. The cop listened intently, nodding his head and comforted Carole saying "That's fine. It happens."

But the man wasn't leaving. He just stood there and smiled. Carole was now getting nervous. My mom came behind Carole. "Are you two the only ones in the house?" My mom smiled politely "My son and other daughter are also here." He looked at her strangely (Everyone thinks our mother is our sister) and said "Okay, well you have a good night."

My take on this story... "The cop didn't believe a word and is staking out our house as I type.:) When the swat team comes I'll be sure to let you know. :) And this is why we need wireless!! Dad are you reading this??:)

6 comments:

Washburn Family Christmas Trees said...

Wow lol, that's almost too funny to be true! Our dog called 911 somehow a few years ago when no one was home, and we came back home to find a police car, firetruck, and ambulance in our driveway... Apparently the dog had pushed the emergency button on the phone and it didn't hang up, so they had to respond to any possible emergency. Lol, if there had been an emergency, the dog would have been a "hero," but instead he became an "idiot."

Unknown said...

lol ... I do believe there is never a dull moment at your house! :) Too funny -- lol !!! I come read your blog every time I need a giggle! :) Yes, even at 2am! :) (I'm up with a sick baby)

Have a great day and keep that sister of yours away from the phone lines! :) lol

June Cleaver in Sneakers said...

Sometimes God speaks to us in a whisper and other times He shows up with flashing blue lights!!

I think your having dial-up can now be considered a hazard.

(I'm trying, Ginger.)

Abigail said...

This was a GREAT story!

Thanks for sharing!

: o )

Stepheny said...

Ginger.....

I HATE DIAL-UP!!!!!! That is why if you visit my blog, you don't find many pics, it takes FOREVER to upload!

Ha! That sounds like my sister! Every single one of our children (my siblings) have learned how to use the phone since we could crawl, we crawled right over to that phone and called the most important number of all numbers, 911! We have all called them... it is so funny! I am sure they get many "fake" calls. The lady calls back about 100 times after that though, "Are you sure everything's Okay???!!!...." :) No dull moments!

Steph

THE LIFE OF SHAWN & VANESSA said...

LOL I CAME ACROSS YOUR BLOG VIA COURTNEY'S...I'M A 911 DISPATCHER MYSELF..I HAVEN'T EVER HEARD OF DIAL UP, DIALIN 911..HOW FUNNY. BUT IT WAS REQUIRED IN MOST COUNTIES THAT IF YOU HAVE A 911 HANG UP, THAT YOU ATLEAST SEND AN OFFICER OUT...UNLESS YOU HAVE KNOWLEDGE THAT SOMETHING ELSE MIGHT BE WRONG....(FIRE/MEDICS)...THATS INTERESTING THOUGH..