Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Watering Hearts Part Two

Two weeks later Cassie sat out on the porch on one of the new wicker rocking chairs she and her mother purchased at Pier One just days before. She had a novel in her hand but she couldn't’t pay attention. Her elderly neighbor was outside by her garden in the front yard and it looked like she was trying to weed her garden. Cassie could see though, that she was having a hard time. Every time she leaned over to pull a weed, she lost her footing and had to grab her railing. She hadn't yet met her because other than running errands and going to church she was busy at home unpacking. Her Dad had already started his new job, so in the day time it was only her and her mom, and her mom needed all the help she could get. Today though, Althea sent her out to get some fresh air while she took a nap on the couch. Cassie was more than happy to get a break to read but, she wanted more than ever to offer help to her neighbor.

Ten minutes later while praying and encouraging herself to do it Cassie decided she was going to offer her assistance to her neighbor. Slowly she made her way down the porch and across the street. She almost chickened out when the elderly lady with a cow girl hat on spotted her. “Well, hello there!” She said with a southern twang. This was something Cassie was still trying to get used to after living all her life in Ohio. “Hi.” She said back with a smile. Her short blond hair was tied in two pigtails and she wore pure white shorts that touched her knee and a red and white checker tee shirt. “Are you the girl who moved in over there with your parents a few weeks back?” “Yes, I’m Cassie Banks.” The women slowly got up from the ground and wiped off her knees with her gloved hands. “I am Edna Bennet. I have been meaning to get over to your place and introduce myself but, I am afraid I just haven’t been able to get over there.”

Cassie nodded and looked over at her flowers. “You have a beautiful garden Mrs. Bennet.” Edna smiled. “Please honey, call me Edna. Do you like gardening?” Cassie smiled “I helped my grandmother all the time. She calls me and tells me she misses my help.” Edna noticed the sad tone in Cassie’s voice and took off her hat and combed her fingers through her hair. “Well sweetheart, I am not your granny and I would never try to take her place. That is a position only a special lady could fill. But I would love for you to come and help me with my garden,if you would so desire.”

Cassie gave Edna her first real smile in weeks. “I would love to.” Edna opened the door of her picket fence and let her in. Cassie sat right where Edna had stood up and grabbed the pesky weeds that she saw Edna having trouble with from her porch. Edna enjoyed her company and was pleased when Cassie said she would be back the next day.
To be continued...
By:Ginger

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

well, i am glad i am the first one to comment. i liked it. i am glad she is a helpful, compassionate woman. in hungary gardens are really popular, and everyone had beautiful flower gardens. it was a great story, but tooo short. stop leaving me hanging!
- debbie

Anonymous said...

well, i am glad i am the first one to comment. i liked it. i am glad she is a helpful, compassionate woman. in hungary gardens are really popular, and everyone had beautiful flower gardens. it was a great story, but tooo short. stop leaving me hanging!
- debbie