Wednesday, June 20, 2007

The conclusion: Watering Hearts

The summer went by so quickly with Cassie helping her parents get the house in order and then spending the rest of the day with Edna. Cassie’s heart was growing a new love for this special lady. She was such a balm to her sad attitude. She was so excited when she found out Edna too was a believer. Edna told her she used to attend the church where Cassie attended but it got to the point that it was too much for her health. So that day forward every free moment she had, Cassie filled Edna in on what she was learning in church and Edna took notes.

One cool summer night Edna and Cassie were on Edna’s porch sipping cool glasses of lemonade. “I am so scared Edna. I met some of the girls I will be attending school with at church and they are so nice but I just don’t know how it will be in school. Will they pretend not to know me?” Edna shook her head. “Cassie do you know how many times I’ve thanked God for you?” Cassie shook her head in shock. She couldn't believe Edna actually was thankful for her. She wasn’t special, she thought. Edna smiled at Cassie’s face.

“Well, I do. I got so lonely here sometimes and I never in my wildest dreams thought this beautiful teen aged girl would move into my neighborhood and become my best friend.” Cassie was now trying not to cry. “Honey, I’m telling the truth. You don’t know how much I look forward to you coming over every day. When your mom called last week and told me you weren’t feeling good and you would be staying in bed for the day I thought I may just die!” Cassie laughed at Edna’s tone. “Sweetie, I guess what I am trying to say is that any girl would be so blessed to have you as a friend and I have no doubt in my mind that you will have many friends by the end of the first week.” Cassie stood up then and made her way to Edna where she hugged her tightly.

“You know what Edna?” She said still with her arms around the older women. “What?” Edna asked. “You know how you water your flowers every day?” Cassie was now back at her own seat watching Edna closely. “Yes.” “Well, you watered my heart with friendship that I needed badly.” Edna smiled. “Cassie you are good for my heart. I guess you water me pretty well yourself!” Cassie smiled and knew that she would never forget this friendship for as long as she lived. Every day after that she thanked God for putting Edna Bennet into her life right when she needed her.


I am so thankful that I have the friendship with my grandmother “Mimi” that Cassie had with Edna. You can find friends where you least expect them if you just look. Somebody may need you to water their hearts. I hope this story has brought a smile to your face and a thought to your mind.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh that was sooooooooo beautiful. i loved it, the way you ended and everything! did you have the ending in mind as you wrote it, or did you make it up as you went along? it is so beautiful! you ahve to get it published, and i loved the author's note at the end too! you should go into writing in your spare time, everyone would love your stories!
- debbie

Anonymous said...

AWWWWWWWWW that was sooooo sweet!!
When's the next one coming out??
You really need to start writing more...you have a talent that cannot be wasted!!!
Susie Q